Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Homemeade Laundry Soap

This is my friend Mary Freeman. Yesterday she taught me how to make laundry soap.







When I arrived, Mary gave me the tour of her farm and home. She raises chickens (you should see her colorful coops!), rabbits, ducks, turkeys, donkeys and children, and her home is absolutely lovely.

Mary was kind enough to share with us the recipe and the steps in making laundry detergent.








 Here are the ingredients you'll need:


* 5 Gallon Bucket with lid
* grater
* measuring cup
* 2 qt pot
* stirring implements (2)
* 3 Gallons plus 4 Cups water
* 1/2 bar bath soap (we used Ivory)
* 1/2 cup washing soda - found in the detergent aisle
* 1/2 cup Borax - also in the detergent aisle (not found in WalMart)

Step 1 - Grate 1/2 bar soap



Step 2 - Combine grated soap with 4 cups water.  Heat and stir until dissolved - DO NOT BOIL

Step 3 - Pour 3 Gallons water into 5 gallon bucket
Step 4 - Add melted soap mixture
Step 5 - Stir in:
               *1/2 cup washing soda 
               * 1/2 cup Borax
Mix Well
 Cover 5 Gallon bucket and allow to sit undisturbed for 24 hours


Stir before using
( laundry detergent will be the consistency of Jello)
Makes approximately 400 fl oz

Mary suggests using twice the amount you would normally use of your liquid detergent.

She insisted that I take the batch we made together - who would have thought it would be so quick and easy to make? I can't wait to try it.

Thank-you Mary for your gracious hospitality and excellent instruction! You've inspired me in more ways than one!

We'll be seeing more of Mary's farm and HOMESTEAD LIFE in future articles, and I'll be sure to post my opinion and cost comparison information on this laundry detergent as soon as I can, but right now, I'm afraid I have a sick goat to tend to.

No comments:

Post a Comment