Thursday, May 31, 2012

Zucchini Bread

I'm still working through the squash, but I love this recipe so much I just may grate the rest of the zucchini and freeze in 2 cup increments to have on hand for instant baking!

 I remember the very first time I was introduced to Zucchini bread. A sweet friend came to see me in the hospital after the birth of the twins 24 years ago - has it been that long?!  and blessed me with a loaf of this delicious bread. I'd never heard of it before, and I agree, it doesn't sound so appealing. As a matter of fact, I hesitate to tell kids the name of the bread before I serve it. Once it gets gobbled down, then I break the news. I know that if I tell them beforehand they might not eat it, but once they've tried this bread they'll wait in line for more!

So, if you've never tried Zucchini Bread and can get past the sound of it, I guarantee that this will become your go-to recipe for delicious, sweet bread all squash season long...and beyond!

This recipe makes 2 loaves and it freezes well too!

ZUCCHINI BREAD

In a bowl combine:
* 2 cups grated zucchini
* 3 eggs
* 1 cup oil
* 1 TBSP vanilla

Mix dry ingredients separately:
* 2 3/4 cups sugar - which is Way Too Much! - I use 2 cups sugar
* 3 cups flour
* 1 TBSP cinnamon
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp baking powder
* 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix wet and dry ingredients and pour into two greased and floured bread pans (or two muffin tins, or 1 Bundt pan)
Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.



No comments:

Post a Comment