Recently I was blessed with three buckets of squash. I hate to see things go to waste so I was compelled to find new ways to use zucchini. One of the recipes I found was Zucchini Salsa - what a great idea! So here's how:
- 10 cups zucchini, peeled & shredded
- 4 onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 ounces tomato paste
* In a large bowl combine zucchini, onions, peppers and salt. Mix together, cover and let stand overnight.
* Next day - Rinse, drain well, add remaining ingredients
* Place in a large pot, bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes.
* Ladle into hot, sterilized jars.
* Carefully wipe rim and add lids.
* Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.
* Makes 8 pints
Stay tuned for more ideas on what to do with all that squash!
Hint: Zucchini Bread, Zucchini lasagna...
If you have a favorite recipe that you'd like to share I'd love to try it!