Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rosh Hashanah Apple Cake

Thank goodness Rosh Hashanah is a two day holiday - it's taken me both days to catch up! It began Sunday evening and will conclude tonight at sunset.

On Sunday it took us all day, but we moved the sailboat. I'll tell you all about it soon. By the time we got back to the farm I was exhausted, majorly sunburned and didn't have the energy to do or think about anything! Thankfully I had plopped some chicken breasts (wrapped in bacon), 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup and 1 cup sour cream into the crock pot, and set it on low before leaving the house in the morning! Bob cooked some egg noodles while I finished up the homestead evening chores - not too many: feed the chickens, grain the horses, check the waters and pen up the turkeys (otherwise they roost on the side of the swimming pool and I'm afraid they'll nod their heads and drown!)  In bed by 8:30 but it felt like midnight!

Monday was spent catching up around the farm: dishes, milking, laundry, cleaning and packaging 15 dozen eggs, getting ready for yet more rain, shuffling goats (the does are all beginning to go into heat, and the ones that can jump the fence are giving me a real pain!) and finally, thinking about Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, and bemoaning the fact that I hadn't sent my son to school with apples and honey in his lunch. (but see, now I still have another day - gotta love two day holidays!)

I did end the day yesterday trying out a new recipe - an Apple Cake.

Here's how:
  * Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  * Grease and flour a 9X9 pan (or equivalent)
  *Peel and core 4 apples - cut into 12 slices each. Sprinkle with lemon juice to keep apples from turning brown (I didn't and they were fine)
 * Over medium heat warm apples in pan with 2 TBS butter and 1-2 TBS sugar. Cook 10-15 mins until soft

In separate bowl mix:
* 1 cup flour
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 cup oil (I used Canola, but I might substitute half applesauce next time)
* 2 eggs
* 1 tsp vanilla

Stir 1/2 warm apple mix into batter and pour into greased and floured pan and smooth to edges
Arrange remaining apple slices ornately on top
Sprinkle lightly with sugar
Bake 350 for 1 hour

L'Shanah Tovah!



No comments:

Post a Comment